Jessica and I decided to take a more modern approach to the new quilt while also incorporating the friendship stars and some of the colors of Ron's original quilt. Jessica found a great way to lay out the stars at Fresh Lemon Quilts. We chose two batik black fabrics, a blue batik, solid gray and small scraps of Alexander Henry Regent Skull fabric left over from when she made Ivan's quilt.
Laying out the quilt was tricky and blocks couldn't easily be pieced ahead of time. Jessica and I pulled an all-nighter the Friday before our quilting appt and finished the quilt. Jessica sewed all of the tiny pieces together while I pieced the back with a couple patches of stars. Some progress photos:
Horizontal quilting is owning me right now - I love it so much! It turned out to be perfect for this quilt.
Jessican and me with the finished quilt